T H E F O U R C A L I P H S
Hazrat Umar Farooq (R.A)
Second Caliph ( 582-644 C.E )
Hazrat Umar Farooq (r.a) is the most respectful personality in Muslim Ummah after Abu Bakr (r.a). He is also one of the Companions (r.a) of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w), who was given the reward of Heaven in the world by Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w). He was born in the tribe of "Adi", a branch of Quresh, 40 years before migration of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w), from Makkah to Madinah and 13 years after the incident of Aam-ul-Feel in 582 C.E. His name was "Abu Hafs", a patronymic name of old traditions. He was the strongest and brave one in all the Makkah. No body in Makkah existed in His youth who could dare to fight with Him. But after embarrassing Islam He was the most fair and just in ever. On 6th year of Prophethood by Muhammad (s.a.w.w), he embarrassed Islam. His embarrassing Islam, is the most popular story of the Islamic history. He was the one who took Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w) and a small group of Muslims in Kaaba to offer Namaz for the first time in history. The wordings to Kuffars was: "If anyone want to make his children Orphan and wife as a widow, do stop us!". The same words were heard by the Kuffars again at the time of migration of Muslims to Madinah. Hazrat Umar Farooq (r.a) earned the title of "Al-Farooq" (the one who makes the clear difference between Right and Wrong) from the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w). He participated in all the battles of Islam with Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w). History notes that He donated his half of the property when being asked for by Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w) in the way of ALLAH. Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w) noted and said many times that it looks, Umar speaks and Quran is bestowed upon. Few examples of ALLAH's rule are; Hijab, offering 2 prayers as "Nafal" at "Baab-e-Ibrahim" in Kaaba, solution for the prisoners of Badr, not to offer Duua on "Munafiq" grave etc.... Hazrat Umar Farooq (r.a) passed his great Caliphate of approximately 10 years after the death of Hazrat Abu Bakr (r.a). His Caliphate is the most popular and memorable Caliphate according to fair and just amongst all others. A Jew named "Abu-Lolou-Feroz" inserted a dagger in His back, while He was offering the Fajr prayers to Muslims in the position of prostrating (Sajdah). Jews kept the name of a stone in name of their partner who martyred Hazrat Umar Farooq (r.a) as "Feroza" (a sky blue like stone usually been wore in the form of a ring in finger. Hazrat Umar Farooq (r.a) breathed his last on 26th Dhul-Hajj, 23 Hijri. He is burried next to the side of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w).
Sayings of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w):
1. I see that devil either from humans or jinn, runs away from Umar. (Tirimzi)
2. I saw in a dream that I was given a bowl of milk which I drunk and remaining I gave it to Umar. (Tirimzi)
3. No doubt, ALLAH has issue truth, on the tongue and in the heart of Umar. (Tirimzi)
4. I saw a dream that I am in the Heaven, there I saw Rameesa (my quilt aunt) and I heard someone's footstep, I asked: who is this?. I was answered: it is Bilal and I saw a palace with a handmaid standing in front of it, I asked: whose palace is this?. She said: Umar bin Khattab's. I wished to see it from inside but, Oh Umar!, I divided my attention from your shame. Hazrat Umar (r.a) said: My father and mother be sacrificed upon You, should I ponder from Your saying?. (Bukhari)
5. If some else Prophet should have been proposed by ALLAH after me, would have been Umar bin Khattab. (Tirimzi)
To be kept in mind that it was Hazrat Umar Farooq (r.a) who won the Bait-ul-Muqaddas for the first time without any blood-shedding. As by the words of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w) he is the best Scholar (Alim) amongst all the Muslims. He introduced few beautiful things in the way of Fiqah, that are;
1. Set a tradition by adding of two sentences of "Assaltu-Khairum-Minnan-Naum" (Salah/Namaz is better than
sleep) in the Fajr Azaan (procedure to call Muslims for the Salah/Namaz).
2. Made a rule to offer 4 "Takbeers" in "Namaz-e-Janazah" (Salah/Namaz, without bending and resting on heads for a dead person), when he saw that many use to offer it by various number of Takbeers; i.e. some doing 4, some 6, some 3 etc.
3. Made a rule that every Muslim will offer 20 prayers of "Tarawieh" in the month of Ramazan, in the night for the next Fast.
4. Made a rule that if any Muslim gives 3 Talaq's to his wife at once, these Talaq's will be executed then and there and she will be considered to be cut-away at once from his relationship.